Sunday, September 14, 2008

Africa or Bust?

When I talk to people about answering God's call (for example becoming a Chaplain) I sometimes talk about my friend who is called to be a missionary in Africa. It seems that so many people are afraid to answer the call into the ministry because they don't want to be placed somewhere that they will hate. My friend was called to Africa almost from the time he was saved. He in fact dreamed of living in Africa for more than just the ministry he liked the whole thought of wide open country for some weird reason that I could never quite put my finger on. Personally I couldn't think of a more horrid calling to have to answer. For some people my calling to go back into the Army after my initial escape befuddles their minds. For me I enjoyed, for the most part, my military service and honestly can think of no ministry that could be nearly as exciting, much like my friend and his Africa. You see God calls people that he created to those things he created them for. To be quite honest I am yet to hear of someone who was called to a ministry that they just didn't like, if you know someone who is ask them truly if they are called to that or do they feel obligated you will see at first a look of outrage, then followed by a look of hmmm yeah that's true. Recently in church service we had a visiting missionary from the Congo(Africa). Now many of you are thinking awww that's nice he came back to fill the congregation in on his mission field. Nope he was from the Congo, missionary to the United States! Now who in the world would want to come as a missionary to the United States? But God placed a calling on his and his families life and here they are. My entire point is this, don't be afraid of Africa God has people with a heart for Africa. Where is your heart?

0 comments: